Tuesday, January 31, 2012

An Iconic Photograph


My Daughters
There is a photo of me sitting on a bed with my three daughters, Tracey, Leah and Sharon.  Tracey (three) and Leah (one) are on my left and Sharon, a few months old, is on my lap.

It was obviously a happy moment. There I am with a big afro, wearing a top I still remember vividly, Tracey and Leah all smiles, Sharon with her hand in her mouth and my arms around them.

This was one photo in a series of photos, a snapshot among many, but for some reason, the girls have always liked it. Why this one and not another? To my daughters, it has become an iconic photo to the point I was pestered to make poster size prints which I never got around to doing.  Tracey took it a step further and commissioned an artist to put this photo on canvas. I had no idea she was doing this so when it was presented to me, I was pleasantly surprised and could not stop looking at it.

My Daughters
The painting is magnificent and I have to commend the artist Ilene Sova. Details were brought to light that are not readily apparent in the small snapshot; the red barrette in Tracey’s hair, the flowers on Leah’s top, the bangle on her arm and the amount of hair on Sharon’s head.

The painting is in a place of honour in my living room and there it shall remain.  Thank you Tracey for getting this done. Thank you Leah and Sharon.  I could not ask for better daughters.
My Daughters


I look at the painting with new eyes and can see why the girls like it so much. We are all together in a loving embrace and this is how we remain.

Will keep you posted.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful painting! It sounds like you and your daughters have a very special bond. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cecile.. You may/may not remember, but I took that picture, LOL when I visited you way up North..
    Pat H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the picture being taken but I remember your visit. I think you were the only person who visited from down south. We were so far but living there was quite an experience.

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed..So far that I would never take Grey Hound there again..LOL.. but the memories good and bitter sweet..

      Pat H..

      Delete
    3. That's right; you took the bus. I think it was a 16 hour trip. Agree about the memories.

      Delete