Monday, October 15, 2012

Quinces

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade the old saying goes but what to do when your neighbour hands you quinces? Well, you make quince jam or is that just me?

I have had quince jelly but never had the opportunity to get up close and personal with this fruit. I never saw them at the supermarket nor the farmers’ market but surprisingly last Friday, there they were at one stall at the farmers’ market.  Not many but enough, I will assume, to get those who know the fruit to buy or pique the curiosity of others to try them. 

I was being advised left, right and centre on the web that quince is inedible (I tried a small piece; it was not that bad) and it looked like everyone was pushing jelly. Since I wanted to use all the fruit, well, not the wormy bits, I was on the lookout for a simple jam recipe. I found it and voilĂ , the result:

Quinces - From Fruit to Jam
In the middle of winter when I bite into a piece of toast covered in quince jam, I will be taken back to a beautiful autumn day and the heavenly aroma of quinces simmering on the stove.

Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment