Friday, November 30, 2012

Barbados Independence

First Prime Minister of Barbados,
Errol W. Barrow (an original pin)
Today, Barbadians or Bajans as we like to call ourselves, celebrate 46 years of independence from Britain.


As I checked out photos of the capital, Bridgetown, and the people decked out in the national colours of ultramarine, gold and black and this morning as I watched the live broadcast of the parade, I wondered why I never considered visiting my place of birth at this time of year.  Well, I have added visiting Barbados during Independence celebrations to my list.

Barbadians have much for which to be thankful and although Barbados, like many nations worldwide, has encountered economic difficulties, Bajans remain a positive and industrious people, who find ways to overcome their hardships. I remember women who made and sold confections and pudding and souse and cultivated kitchen gardens or sewed and the men who sold snow balls (now snow cones) and learnt to be tailors and bakers and other trades to earn a living and support their families; most often done right from their homes. 

To Barbados, Bajans and Bajan wannabes everywhere, have a wonderful and safe Independence Day celebration. Until I am there to celebrate in person, have a shot, or two, of rum for me.

Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment