Saturday, December 8, 2012

Door-to-Door-Soliciting

Clipboard
I was working away at my computer with so many items still to get done and wishing I could be an octopus at least for the day when I heard the doorbell. Expecting my last born who was coming by to get ready for a Christmas party, I ran up the stairs to open the door (don’t ask, they all have keys but prefer to ring the bell).

Looking out the sidelight, I could see it was not my favourite last born but a dreaded person with a clipboard trying to look official. To my question of, “How can I help you?” the response was they are in the area checking hot water tanks and would like to come in and check if mine has the stickers being pointed out to me on the clipboard. I politely stated I was not interested, twice, and closed the door, cheesed off at the interruption.

As I sat down at the computer, I wondered, and not for the first time, why anyone would choose to do such a job. Doors are closed in faces and who actually invites these strangers into their home, leads them to the farthest corner of their laundry room and lets them muck around with their equipment?

Since there is no end to these doorbell ringers, it appears there are many trusting souls on both sides. The person at my door was a young woman and I cannot imagine any of my daughters entering a strange home and following a stranger to the basement. I may not be interested in the service you are offering but I hope you remain safe.

Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment