Thursday, June 13, 2013

What’s The Matter With Some Christians?

As I listened to Ugandan gay rights advocate, Frank Mugisha being being interviewed on the The Current on CBC Radio, I became sad and then angry at the tale he was telling about LGBT people being persecuted in Uganda.

I was sad that in 2013, we are still spending so much time and effort to malign and ostracize LGBT peoples. The anger came when I learnt the Ugandan anti-homosexuality bill, supported by evangelicals, was back in the news after it did not pass in 2011. Why are Christians promoting homophobia? What bible do these people read? Do they know the life of their Christ? Where does Jesus advocate that LGBT people should be targeted, ridiculed, tormented and even killed in his name?

Every morning I get up and make decisions to ensure I have a productive day. I think about what to eat, if I should I go for a walk, do I need groceries, which part of my business needs my focus, should I cut the grass and do a little gardening (or rake or shovel), should I go for coffee with my neighbor or dinner with a friend. At no time have I ever hopped out of bed and thought today would be a great day to set my sights on people  trying to live their lives, who have no bearing on my life and go out of my way to harass them by picketing, writing nasty comments on social media and supporting groups and politicians to ensure their lives are a living hell.

I became angry at this type of malicious behavior by Christians which serves to make others question what Christianity is about; I cannot imagine any sensible person being drawn to such people. If you call yourself Christian but do not live by the following command from Jesus Christ, you need to stop calling yourself Christian. "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." It appears this is not a suggestion but a very clear directive and there are no exceptions.

If you believe in fairness and allowing people to live their lives without fear of persecution and death for who they are, it’s worth listening to this interview and to follow Frank Mugisha on Facebook and Twitter to keep abreast of his activism, quest for justice and the latest on the Ugandan bill.

Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment