Friday, October 25, 2013

End Of October Already?

I can't believe my last post was in June; where did the time go? Here we are in October, exactly two months away from Christmas. Time really seems to be flying at warped speed the older I get.

Barbados Grand Kadooment 2013
Anyway, it was quite the summer with a trip to Barbados. It was an enjoyable time; two of my daughters took part in the Grand Kadooment parade in a costumed band. I, on the other hand, having no costume or wishing to have one, decided to "jump" with the band that requires none and brings up the rear. It was so much fun and the next few days, my calves attested to dancing for a number of hours along the parade route.

The garden survived my absence with the help of my daughter who was house/cat sitting and a neighbour. The veggies I planted in pots did well but if I do this again, I will need a sandier soil as some of the carrots were bent every which way; still delicious and 100% pesticide free. Beets and hot peppers were fine but I won't buy a mature bell pepper plant again; it was not the best return on investment but that could be due to inconsistent watering (someone confessed:). I did notice it was a thirsty plant. The biggest producer was the cherry tomato; up to last week it was full of tomatoes. Picked some and lost more because of the cold weather setting in and the garden needing to be cleaned up. If only we had a few more warm weeks. I will plant this type of tomato next year. In all, I harvested enough from all the plants to share with neighbours. The garden has been prepared, cushions and décor put away and chairs stacked for the winter.

Another year almost over. Have we done what we promised to do? Remember those New Year Resolutions? I have not accomplished all I set out to do but I continue laying the path. I had some detours and I major, unexpected but lovely right turn which I am over the moon about. It's not too late to review promises made to ourselves. What I have learnt is life is not always a straight path, there will be bends, detours, U-turns and sometimes a particular path is a dead end and I have to regroup. I'm trying to ensure I don't stop and become disillusioned but learn from the hiccups and move on. At times this is easier said than done but what is the alternative?

Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment