Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Engaging With Each Other

I had a craving for a nice deli meat sandwich for lunch so I went up the street to the supermarket to get the fixings; fresh crusty buns and spicy prosciutto cotto.

I decided to pick up a few more item unrelated to lunch and headed down the cleaning supplies aisle. As I walked by, a woman who was looking at the supplies, turned towards me. She said she did not have her glasses with her and could I help her in choosing cleaning supplies for her bathroom tiles.

Not a problem. She informed me the grout was stained and she needed something to clean it. I explained about cream cleansers as opposed to liquid and showed her the brand I use, with bleach and without, and I also told her she could use an old toothbrush to help in removing stains from the grout clean. To hear me sell this product, you would think I was working for that brand:).

Anyway, she decided to go with my recommendations (with bleach and without) and the icing on the cake,   they were on sale.

Most days, we go about our lives and rarely interact with strangers. We seldom smile at each other, make eye contact or engage each other with small talk. Maybe our reluctance is  based on our fear the other person won't reciprocate. This lady took a chance in asking me a question and I stopped and chatted with her - no earth shattering discussion but we engaged with each other for a few minutes.

We must remember, there are more people out there who are like us and will respond positively that those who will look right through you. So let's share a smile and stop for a few minutes when called upon. Who knows: maybe you too will have an opportunity to discuss cleaning options.

Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment